as discussed on the "Java version for Maven" thread(s), enablers are key IMHO

on plugins system requirements history, we started with
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPLUGIN-400

we need to fill data on every Maven -project plugin:
https://ci-maven.apache.org/job/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-dist-tool/job/master/site/dist-tool-prerequisites.html

some tooling creation may be useful:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPLUGIN-511

and even the configuration solution needs a small improvement:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPLUGIN-510

There is a lot of work to do for a single contributor, but that can be split in
small tasks, with good first issues to contribute to
and it even has to be done in the future on every Maven plugin done in the wild

Are there volunteers? We can do meeting on this, coordination, progress
publications, team work, on something that remain quite focused and not very
complex

Regards,

Hervé