PR ready for review:
https://github.com/apache/maven-source-plugin/pull/24

I think it does the right job at differentiating 2 cases that the initial
MSOURCES-121 merged too aggressively:
1. do not fail when executed twice with the same output file
2. but fail when re-attach happens to another output file = another classifier
has to be configured

Regards,

Hervé

Le lundi 25 mars 2024, 07:31:53 CET Hervé Boutemy a écrit :
> IIUC, this is an explanation of the mystery failure that started the
> MSOURCE-121 update
>
> but after MSOURCE-121, the plugin itself stops with a failure when detecting
> re-addition: that's why Gary can't upgrade, the failure is now happening at
> plugin level, and always
> "mvn install deploy" (with source enabled) is a simple test to see the
> failure introduced by MSOURCE-121
>
> I'm starting to understand the many aspects of this issue: I think I know
> how to update the goal to be more tolerant
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Hervé
>
> Le dimanche 24 mars 2024, 20:39:55 CET Romain Manni-Bucau a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think it is fixed for v4 serie.
> > Main issue comes from the default v3 pom (
> > https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/maven-3.9.2/maven-model-builder/src/m
> > ai n/resources/org/apache/maven/model/pom-4.0.0.xml#L113) which is no more
> > a thing in v4 so the merge of the plugin executions does not happen the
> > same and the issue disappeared.
> > The easiest is likely to either let the default be merged and not use
> > "jar"
> > (implicit jar-no-fork instead) or just not use the default id
> > (attach-sources) and skip the default one.
> >
> > So there is no source plugin issue (as the plugin will never fix it by
> > "bug
> > design") so no reason to hold a release IMHO.
> >
> > Guess it silently overrided the already built artifact for years - until
> > we
> > just fail cause it is a broken design - after this change of goal
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5940.
> >
> > So long story short: we are on track and release can be done I think.
> >
> > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github
> > <https://github.com/rmannibucau>>
> > | LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
> >
> > <https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performan
> > ce
> >

> > Le dim. 24 mars 2024 à 18:44, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> a
> >
> > écrit :
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > As long as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MSOURCES-143 is in
> > > play, Commons will stay on a pre-3.3.0 version.
> > >
> > > I re-read the comments, I still don't know what we can do in Commons
> > > to address this as this feels like some deep Maven Magic.
> > >
> > > Gary

> > > sensitivity

MSOURCES-121: