Hi,

+1 for removing them as well....

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

On 24.05.24 13:09, Maarten Mulders wrote:
On 24/05/2024 09:43, Michael Osipov wrote:
On 2024/05/24 07:06:45 Maarten Mulders wrote:
Hi all,

Today, I noticed Maven has an `-up` switch, for `--update-plugins`. The
help text says it's ineffective, only kept for backward compatibility.

With the advent of Maven 4, would this be a good moment to remove this
switch?

There much more of them to be killed, but before we do that we need to
make sure that any of our plugins which invoke Maven never pass them,
then we can discuss their removal.

Just checked, and indeed, there are a few more listed explicitly as
"ineffective":

-cpu, --check-plugin-updates
-npr, --no-plugin-registry
-npu, --no-plugin-updates
-up, --update-plugins

My idea would then be to see if any of these four are used in our own
code base (core as well as plugins). If there are usages, let's remove
them. That should not be hard, as they don't trigger any behaviour
anymore. After that, we can continue to drop them from the Maven CLI.

Would that make sense?

Maarten