That's not exactly what we want to achieve with maven. We want to have not
only
layout which is independent of Linux distro but is even independet of
operating system.
Maven repositories have some unique features  and some of them are yet
visible.
For example soon we will make heavy use of maven POMs which will accompany
artifacts
stored in local repo. We need this to implement transitive dependencies
facility.
So we want to have something standard and simple and not something flexible
which integrates differently
even with each Linux distro.

> Any comments on that? Anybody else think that would be interesting?
>
> Jerome

Michal