On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 21:19, Jerome Lacoste wrote:

> > This is for the most simple of builds with one source file. Just really
> > an illustration of initialization time.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Do you know where does that difference come from?

As I haven't even started optimizing or profiling I would speculate it
results from trying to shed all dependencies possible, and using tools
like the xpp3 parser to serialize/deserialize the model and thus
avoiding the grossly ineffecient commons-digester/beanutils/collections.

> Is there a way to enable profiling?

No, I would just use a profiler or possibly an aspect.

> I remember Jira having a very nice filter allowing to enable profiling. I wonder if
> it's possible and interesting to introduced something like that within maven.

I don't really see any benefit in doing that i.e. building that into
maven when you can do profiling with a tool.

> But I guess that maven is more predictable than an application using various SQL
> queries on top of various DBMS.

It's not a matter of being predictable, but rather doing analysis where
appropriate. I wouldn't bother introducing a complicated mechanism in
maven itself for profiling when an external tool would be much more
appropriate.

> Jerome

jvz.

Jason van Zyl