The following issue has been updated:

    Updater: Eric Lapierre (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
       Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 9:07 AM
    Comment:
I encountered a similar problem

I have a project hierarchy like this one:

top_project/ 
          project.properties
          project.xml
          main_project1/ 
                    project.xml
                    maven.xml 
                    subproj1/ 
                           project.xml 
                           project.properties 
                       subproj2/
                           project.xml 

Under the top_project, I defined a property which represents the version of a plugin.
Under the main_project1, I defined a dependency for this plugin, using the property as 
the <version>

subproj2 as a dependency on an artifact from subproj1.
When I invoke maven multiproject:install
from the main_project1, I get the following error as if the version field value was 
lost along the way. If I change the value of the property, it then works.


+----------------------------------------
| Executing multiproject:install-callback Sub project 2
| Memory: 4M/6M
+----------------------------------------
Attempting to download maven-sar-plugin-.jar.
WARNING: Failed to download maven-sar-plugin-.jar.

BUILD FAILED
File...... /home/ericlap/.maven/plugins/maven-multiproject-plugin-1.3/plugin.jelly
Element... maven:reactor
Line...... 216
Column.... 9
The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied dependency:

maven-sar-plugin-.jar


Here is the maven information that may be helpful:
 __  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0-rc3

#---- BEGIN: Which report
Which.version=Which.java:($Revision: 1.2 $) WhichJar.java:($Revision: 1.2 $)
java.version=1.4.2_02
file.encoding=ISO646-US
java.ext.dirs=/vobs/j2sdk/1.4.2_02/jre/lib/ext
java.class.path=/opt/tools/wh/dtd/tools/maven/1.0_rc3//lib/forehead-1.0-beta-5.jar
os.name=SunOS
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
sun.boot.class.path=/opt/tools/wh/dtd/tools/maven/1.0_rc3//lib/endorsed/xerces-2.4.0.jar:/opt/tools/wh/dtd/tools/maven/1.0_rc3//lib/endorsed/xml-apis-1.0.b2.jar:/vobs/j2sdk/1.4.2_02/jre/lib/rt.jar:/vobs/j2sdk/1.4.2_02/jre/lib/i18n.jar:/vobs/j2sdk/1.4.2_02/jre/lib/sunrsasign.jar:/vobs/j2sdk/1.4.2_02/jre/lib/jsse.jar:/vobs/j2sdk/1.4.2_02/jre/lib/jce.jar:/vobs/j2sdk/1.4.2_02/jre/lib/charsets.jar:/vobs/j2sdk/1.4.2_02/jre/classes
java.runtime.name=Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
#----   END: Which report

Installed plugins:
  maven-castor-plugin-1.2
  maven-site-plugin-1.5
  maven-multiproject-plugin-1.3
  maven-jdepend-plugin-1.5
  maven-clover-plugin-1.5
  maven-genapp-plugin-2.2
  maven-jbuilder-plugin-1.5
  maven-jboss-plugin-1.5
  maven-dashboard-plugin-1.3
  maven-artifact-plugin-1.2
  maven-developer-activity-plugin-1.5
  maven-war-plugin-1.6
  maven-native-plugin-1.1
  maven-cruisecontrol-plugin-1.2
  maven-webserver-plugin-2.0
  maven-docbook-plugin-1.2
  maven-deploy-plugin-1.3
  maven-ear-plugin-1.5
  maven-repository-plugin-1.2
  maven-j2ee-plugin-1.5
  maven-jnlp-plugin-1.3
  maven-linkcheck-plugin-1.2
  maven-javadoc-plugin-1.5
  maven-vdoclet-plugin-1.2
  maven-hibernate-plugin-1.1
  maven-appserver-plugin-2.0
  maven-antlr-plugin-1.2
  maven-jira-plugin-1.1
  maven-ant-plugin-1.7
  maven-gump-plugin-1.3
  maven-tasklist-plugin-2.3
  maven-xdoc-plugin-1.7.1
  maven-ashkelon-plugin-1.2
  maven-tjdo-plugin-1.0.0
  maven-html2xdoc-plugin-1.3
  maven-announcement-plugin-1.1
  maven-pmd-plugin-1.4
  maven-jxr-plugin-1.4
  maven-struts-plugin-1.3
  maven-latka-plugin-1.4
  maven-junit-doclet-plugin-1.2
  maven-pom-plugin-1.4
  maven-changelog-plugin-1.5
  maven-clean-plugin-1.2
  maven-license-plugin-1.2
  maven-jetty-plugin-1.1
  maven-jdee-plugin-1.1
  maven-file-activity-plugin-1.5
  maven-jcoverage-plugin-1.0.4
  maven-jar-plugin-1.5
  maven-scm-plugin-1.3
  maven-aspectwerkz-plugin-1.2
  maven-faq-plugin-1.3
  maven-plugin-plugin-1.3
  maven-dist-plugin-1.5
  maven-jellydoc-plugin-1.3
  maven-javacc-plugin-1.1
  maven-shell-plugin-1.1
  maven-simian-plugin-1.4
  maven-ejb-plugin-1.4
  maven-jdiff-plugin-1.3
  maven-java-plugin-1.4
  maven-console-plugin-1.1
  maven-pdf-plugin-2.1
  maven-release-plugin-1.3
  maven-changes-plugin-1.4
  maven-nsis-plugin-1.0
  maven-checkstyle-plugin-2.4.1
  maven-wizard-plugin-1.1
  maven-uberjar-plugin-1.2
  maven-caller-plugin-1.1
  maven-junit-report-plugin-1.5
  maven-eclipse-plugin-1.7
  maven-latex-plugin-1.2
  maven-jdeveloper-plugin-1.4
  maven-aspectj-plugin-3.0
  maven-idea-plugin-1.4
  maven-jalopy-plugin-1.2
  maven-test-plugin-1.6.1
  maven-multichanges-plugin-1.1
Exception reading build.properties: /home/ericlap/build.properties (No such file or 
directory)
Home Build properties: {}


 
    Changes:
             Attachment changed to maven_bug.zip
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
For a full history of the issue, see:

  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1296?page=history

---------------------------------------------------------------------
View the issue:
  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1296

Here is an overview of the issue:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
        Key: MAVEN-1296
    Summary: Multiproject property inheritance
       Type: Bug

     Status: Unassigned
   Priority: Major

 Original Estimate: Unknown
 Time Spent: Unknown
  Remaining: Unknown

    Project: maven
   Versions:
             1.0-rc3

   Assignee: 
   Reporter: Winston Rast

    Created: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:10 AM
    Updated: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 9:07 AM

Description:
I'm trying to generate "1.4 friendly" compiled classes. I'm getting failures on the 
assert keyword. Here's a rundown of my multiproject structure:

root/
    project.xml (extends root/service/project.xml)
    project.ent
    common/
        maven/
            project.properties
            project.xml (Parent)
            entities/
                versions.ent
                dependencies.ent
                developers.ent
    service/
        maven.xml
        project.properties
        project.xml (extends root/common/maven/project.xml)
    ejb/
        project.ent
        project.properties
        project.xml (extends root/project.xml)

I have the maven.compile.source and maven.compile.target properties set in 
root/service/project.properties. Yet when I run "maven multiproject:install" from my 
root directory I get a warning and error regarding the assert keyword. If I put these 
properties in a root/project.properties file it works fine. Can anyone tell me if this 
is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong?

----------------------------------

Just to follow up with some more info that I discovered...

I created a root/maven.xml to echo the maven.compile.* properties during the build. 
Somewhere along the way my property values are being lost:

build:
    [echo] maven.compile.source=1.4
    [echo] maven.compile.target=1.4
multiproject:install:
multiproject:projects-init:
    [echo] Gathering project list
Starting the reactor...

<snip>

xdoclet:ejbdoclet:

java:prepare-filesystem:

java:compile:
    [echo] maven.compile.source=1.3
    [echo] maven.compile.target=1.1


So is the problem in the property inheritance, the java plugin, or the multiproject 
plugin? Your help is greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------

I've been doing a lot of trial and error with this problem and I've narrowed it down 
to what I think is a problem in multiproject environments with inherited properties. 
It is *not* an issue strictly with the maven.compile.* properties as I've previously 
mentioned. I'm attaching a jar file of my stripped down example to demonstrate. In my 
example, I'm demonstrating the problem with the maven.repo.remote property. To 
replicate the problem, do the following:

* Edit project.properties under test/ and change maven.repo.remote to something other 
than ibiblio.
* Edit test/service/myservice/ejb/project.xml with a dependency (something NOT on 
ibiblio, but on the remote repo specified previously)
* Remove this dependent jar from your local repository so it's forced to download it 
again
* From test/service/myservice, execute a maven goal (I generally do clean)

This should fail to download. Strangely, if I run the same maven goal from 
test/service/myservice/ejb, it DOES download! Anyone have a clue what's happening here?


---------------------------------------------------------------------
JIRA INFORMATION:
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.

If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators:
   http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/Administrators.jspa

If you want more information on JIRA, or have a bug to report see:
   http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to