IMO: Everytime any of the project's files is touched version number in pom
should be increased.

Even if one single dependency in pom was modified
For example artifact plugin requires maven core and every time when new
version of core is released -
pom of artifat plugin must/can be changed.

Regarding entries in changes.xml -
imo everything which worthed noting should go there and when somebody feels
that information that test cases were added or modified
is important - corresponding entry may go changes.xml. It helps to make
decision if plugin should be released and
what has really changed since the last released version.
Alos in exmplains the motivations why devlopment of a new version has been
started
and I think it is quite preciuous information. And too much information is
no #1 problem we have :)

So to sum up - imo what dIon did was 100% valid.

Michal