Carlos,

A "snapshot" in Maven terms is any release symlinked to create a reference to the "most current version" (so in Maven, a snapshot can be an official release or a dated build).

IE:
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-collections/jars/commons-collections-3.1.jar
is symlinked to:
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-collections/jars/commons-collections-SNAPSHOT.jar

A "dated build" in Maven terms is an "unofficial release" of an artifact with the date and time in its version string stored in the repository. It to can be linked to the "snapshot" symlink. The dated build is close to the idea of a nightly build in that the nightly is an automated version of a daily build.

IE:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-math/jars/commons-math-20040313.204326.jar
is symlinked to:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-math/jars/commons-math-SNAPSHOT.jar

So the big issue here is with "dated builds" not with "snapshots".

One of the goals in only placing official releases within the Apache Repository (and conversely into Ibiblio) is to work to get only the most "stable" Apache code out into the repository. Dated Builds currently consider unstable, so we need to consider them as content that Apache won't want to release to its mirrors or to the public.

So, the idea of having dated builds get out to ibiblio is controlled by this restriction on www.apache.org/dist. It was my intention when placing the repository within dist to maintain this restriction.

My question for you is the following.

How close is your project to releasing an official release? By official, I mean one you feel is stable enough to get a release version number?

If you feel this is possible, then you can release it into dist/java-repository with a versioned release number. Otherwise, you can release dated builds into cvs.apache.org/repository until you are more confident in your codebase to do a major release.

The reasoning behind this is not to "stop projects from releasing" but to assure that when a project does do a release, that what is released is worthy of public consumption. The secondary effect of this effort as well, is to get you used to incremental release versioning at the most stable point in the development cycle.

This idea somewhat conflicts with the Maven strategy which maintains that interim builds always get released and the snapshot is not necessarily of the most stable point in the projects development cycle. But, then again, most Mavenized projects do not build dependencies on the bleeding edge snapshot when developing, usually they depend on a more stable release version.

So, either way, getting a stable version into the public repositories will be more beneficial to you than having daily builds get up to Ibiblio. GROK?

-Mark Diggory

Carlos Sanchez wrote:

Hi,

I'm a committer of the Maven project and Jason van Zyl has told me to ask
you about having a new repository to deploy snapshots to, mirrored to
ibiblio, but not archived at apache as it will grow quickly.

What I know already is that there are two repositories available, am I
right?
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository mirrored to ibiblio, archived,
only for releases
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/ not mirrored, not archived

(read at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.commons.devel/39469 )

So none of the two repositories can be used to deploy snapshots when we want
them mirrored to ibiblio and removed in a weekly or monthly basis.

Regards

Carlos Sanchez
A Coruņa, Spain

Oness Project