Okay, that seems like what I thought would work.  From inside a plugin then
plugin.currentVersion does work fine.  However, from outside:

  <maven:get plugin="maven-ant-plugin" property="plugin.currentVersion"
var="version4"/>
  <maven:get plugin="maven-ant-plugin" property="currentVersion"
var="version5"/>
  <echo message="version4: ${version4}"/>
  <echo message="version5: ${version5}"/>

Neither version is being set.  It seems so easy, but hasn't been.  Does any
one have any pointers to other jelly script I could look at?

Eric