On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:08:38 -0400
> From: Mark R. Diggory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Dion Gillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: Henk P. Penning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED], Maven Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: md5's

> Ultimately it would, as well, be of great benefit if the artifact
> publishing worked initially in a staging area as not to confuse existing
>   cron jobs attempting to validate md5's on the server. This would
> probably be best served in the systems default tmp directory.

  That would be great.

  I think, the best way for adding/replace stuff is

  -- write a 'temp'
  -- rename 'temp' to 'file'

  because a rename is truly atomic if 'temp' and 'file' are
  in the same file system.

  If you can implement the 'temp' for 'file' to be,
  for instance, '.tmp.file', I can easily teach the checkers
  to ignore '.tmp.*' files. I think rsync does something
  like that (even better .tmp.$$.file).

  Just a thought.

> -Mark

  HPP