On Tuesday 23 November 2004 11:45, Brett Porter wrote:
> I'm still not sure what you need here. When you use a SNAPSHOT,
> it is not first wins, but newest - all are checked.
>
> But you talk about changing repositories per group - aren't the
> repositories paritioned enough such that the set of groups
> affected have their own?
> I'm thinking you might be talking about a release management
> issue more than this. If they are using one from 'bleeding edge'
> and the rest from 'QA', maybe
> QA should be somewhere where the version is incremented to a
> pre-release, and they change their dependencies to that.
>
> If this is incorrect, can you spell out an example we can work
> through?
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

As I mentioned in my response to Jason, here are my use cases:

1) set artifact/group to released version of an artifact/group

2) set artifact/group to latest released version of an
artifact/group

3) set artifact/group to specific version released to QA

4) set artifact/group to latest version released to QA

5) set artifact/group to latest bleeding edge version

There are a few requirements lurking in the background here as well.
They include:
1) One should not need to modify the POM in order to execute any of
these use cases. In a team of 10 developers 9 will be executing use
case #4 while only one may be executing use case 1. In other words
I need to be able to specify the artifact using a property.

2) The repository remains standardized. In other words, a developer
working on project A who decides he needs bleeding edge artifacts
from the m2 effort of project B doesn't need to talk to a developer
in group B to determine groupIds or repository names, etc. The
developer can simply indicate they want bleeding edge of m2.

If you would like me to write up something formal as a summary, I'd
be glad to do so.

-steve
--

Stephen Nesbitt
Senior Configuration Management Engineer