Maczka Michal wrote on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 4:13 PM:

> [...]

[snip]

>> How does this help if your project relies on OSS and
>> proprietary artifacts? How can I configure Maven to look for
>> the proprietary artifacts (SNAPSHOT or not) only in the local
>> repo?
>
> The simplest solution which you can use now would be to use
> exclusivly the local intranet repo which
> must be be initially seeded in some way (e.g sychronized with
> ibiblio once per day/week) This should already make in some
> case the processing much faster  as you will be never hitting
> ibiblio directly. So general idea is - you should possibly
> use single repository which is close to you and very fast.
> How this idea should be implemented it is a different story.
> Maven Proxy and such tools might be helpful. I bet it is even
> implementable in case of teams are geographically dispersed.

We already use two differrent repositories. An internal one with all the
internal and properietary artifacts and one covered by maven-proxy. Still for
our internal snapshots even maven-proxy looks at ibiblio. I understand your
proposal above, but a complete sync to ibiblio needs just too much space (and
do not think at disk space alone; only the backups of the repository guarantee,
that we can rebuild a specific version). With a repository property we could
specify the internal repo for internal and proprietary artifacts.

[snip]

> I forgot to add that it would be possible to make a decsion
> which repository should be hit using the value provided in
> groupId tag of the dependency.
>
> so if it is <groupId>foo/baa/xxx</groupId>  the repositry A
> and only A should be vistied if it is
> <groupId>bazz/aa/xxx</groupId> repositories B and C should be visited.
>
> It will be a question of ssing simple include/exclude regexp
> patterns per repository descriptor.

Sorry, lost track here. I am not sure what you are implying here with this
proposal.

But you're right, the internal and proprietary stuff could also be identified
by the groupId. What about supporting two properties like:

maven.repo.internal=http://192.168.0.20/maven
maven.repo.internal.groupIds=javamail,jms

All artifacts with a matching groupId will be looked up in the internal repo,
while all others use the remote repo. Not quite as fexible as the repository
property, but would solve the problem.

- Jörg