I actually think that this is not a best example why we need that new tag as
once we have categorization of dependencies (<scope> like thing)
and transitive dependecies waht you see there will be mostly covered.

But I see that there is often need to document why the dependecy was used.

For example if you are using asm you can be informed that (dependecy report
can contain that information)

"ASM is a Java bytecode manipulation framework. It can be used to
dynamically generate stub classes or other proxy classes, directly in binary
form, or to dynamically modify classes at load time, i.e., just before they
are loaded into the Java Virtual Machine."

This is helpful as you will know what asm is.
But the information that asm "is used in this project for implementing
dynamic proxies" is also very important and could
be quite precious. Not only for documentation purpose in the scope of
particular project but also for exchaning information between projects and
higher
level tools.
Once we have reliable database of poms it will be possible to select all
project which use asm and see that

project A uses it for 'implementing dynamic proxies"
project B uses it for '....'

so exchaning of knowledge between projects can be bi-directional (I hope
that it is clear what I mean by that)

Other type of informationion I imagine to see in that new tag is something
like
<comment>We deliberately use version 1.0.0. Do not upgrade to version 1.0.1
as it is not compatible</comment>

Such information is of high importance and it should be displayed by the
tools which will help you to maintain your POMs
(e.g. upgrade version of dependecies) or perform releases...

Michal