[...]

> >I feel that both your and mine solutions are hacks.
> >First one requires to override goals, second binds two
> plugins: site and
> >multiproject.
> >Before proposing my solution - which I hope will be the
> temporary one - I
> >thought about both options
> >and I have chosen the one which was subjectively less harmful.
> >

> I don't see what you mean. This entails no change to the site plugin.
> Yes, multiproject depends on site, but it already does.

And I think it is quite bad thing. I was thinking along the lines that we
should rather have
something "site:multiproject" goal then "multiproject:site"
as scattered functionality for generating sites makes it harder to
understand what's going on.

Note that only thing which is really good in multiproject plugin is that it
have 3 standard properties which defines reactor setup:
"basedir", "includes" and "exludes" and this is something that other plugins
need to share (with possibility of overriding it per plugin/goal).
With unified source tree in place this is something which can be made even
simpler.

>This more
> closely emulates the features of m2's reactor, whereas goal
> overriding
> does not exist in m2.

I wouldn't be using m2 reactor as an ultimate refernce yet - it is at the
momment almost identical to m1 reactor
but it is not even yet passed to plugins and goal as the parameter and I am
not sure if it will be ever the case.
Or in other words: m2 reactor and its semantic is a work in progress.
And discussion which takes place here is also applicable for m2. I think
that it will be nice if ideas which are use in m2 would
find they way back to m1 - but I am not sure if this will be always
possible. Some things in m1 can be fixed without looking at m2 in a
different way.
One of the ideas which we are trying to promote in m2 is that plugins should
not have any contracts with other plugins
nor to use them directly - they should rather relay on maven core as
mediator. This means that execution of other goals from within plugin's code
is not something which is going to be as commonly used as it takes place in
m1. This can possibly lead us
to plugins like: "maven-site-mojo" and "maven-site-multiproject-mojo" where
first one is independent from m2 and its reactor.
This is something which is probably not likely going to happen in m1...

> But regardless, the second solution seemed better where multiproject
> type was used.

If this is what you prefere I am fine with that...

Michal