Next question is what we can really do with converters between major
versions of POMs: e.g. between v3 and v4
and where and how such converter will be used?

I believe Trygvis has already implemented one for continuum. Correct, it is only partially automated, but it can warn on ignored info, fail on missing info.
It can easily handle the different names in scm and connection, for example.

It's been decided writing small converters (and if the changes are compatible, they should be trivial to write) is better than trying to get the model to do some form of inheritence.

Minor versions might introduce deprecations on elements, for example - which makes the model different.

Is there any reason where this is actually going to cause you a problem?

Haven't we been planning to use new way of declaring project inheritance in
1.1 with help of groupId and artifactId versions tags (like in m)?

Yes, but optionally. <extend/> will still be there.

- Brett