Yes, Jason explained to me what Mojos are. So ideally we would have:

mojos/ (java beans equivalent to Ant tasks and not tied to plexus nor maven)

plexus/ (focus only on container and use mojos for extra services like
zipping, etc)

m2/
  |_ core/ (link to plexus)
  |_ plugins/ (no link to plexus, use mojos)

It just happens that historically plexus had some existing components for
zipping, etc that m2 mojos are using.

Right?

Any plan to move the mojos out of m2 and move the plexus zipping et al build
logic into external mojos and consolidate them all?

> The only time plexus the container comes into it is when you see an
> expression like "#component.org.codehaus.modello.ModelloCore". This
> tells Maven to populate the variable with an instance of the given
> component from the container. However, if you are using it outside
> Maven, that's fine - you just need to pass in your own instance of that,
> which can be constructed as a normal bean in most cases and configured
> manually.
>
> What's probably missing for use outside of Maven is getters and setters :)

Yep, Jason mentioned that.

> We are currently working on the external Mojo API, so feel free to mail
> any more comments about it.

Ok, cool.

Thanks
-Vincent