I remember I was going to reply to this :)

Vincent Massol wrote:

>Hi,
>
>2/ Option 2: Generate instrumented sources in target/ somewhere and somehow
>convince the compile plugin to use those sources rather than the ones in
>src/main/java.

I'd definitely say 2. I don't like the clover:on command - it should be
implicit in the clover:report goal.

>But this option seems less good because how do I get the WAR plugin to
>incorporate instrumented sources (for example) so that functional tests can
>be run?
>
>Any advice for doing this in m2?

Well, if your WAR is going to be used in this way, there is probably a
need to modify how the WAR is named as well as inserting the classes in
there, so you don't end up with instrumented WARs getting deployed to
repositories or worse.

I'm still working on the idea of alternate lifecycles (there is a JIRA
ticket regarding idea:idea and generated sources that covers the same
idea, and this applies to all reporting). What this means is that
clover:report would fork a lifecycle instance to run everything under
its own parameters. You could choose the appropriate lifecycle goal to
execute (just test by default, but maybe integration-tests). The tricky
bit is ensuring all the steps:
1) store to new locations where needed
2) not redo things that have already been done

So this is tricky. I think it is achievable under the m2 lifecycle model
(much more so than under m1 where it was all hacks), but I haven't
completely mapped it out. I think as we work through the use cases of
clover and some of the other reports, it will fall out nicely, but it
might take a bit of time.

I'm hoping to get back into lifecycle related issues this week, so we'll
see how that pans out. Let me (and the list) know how you are
progressing, what features you are intending to implement, how you think
it will be invoked, etc. I'll try and spend some time documenting what
is already there too.

Cheers,
Brett