I think all this is already supported in m2. For each artifact you can
already choose to which repository it will be deployed
so it is up to users to organize repository systems as they wish :). Only
missing parts are plugins which will mutate artifacts.
Your assemble plugin is really very good example which shows the way in
which such plugins could be written. I don't think that much more is needed
:)

reagrds

michal