I think we should enforce only the root groupIds and then it's up to
each project the number of subgroups they made. They will always be
able to refactor new versions and split them in subgroups if they
want.
eg. we require that if you have a foo.com domain your groupId is
com.foo but after that it's up to you. If you have a foo.sf.net we
require net.sf.foo but no more than that.

Also I agree with providing some kind of deprecation info in m2 poms,
and probably it will be a better option to update always the m2 repo
and autogenerate everything in the m1, because the m2 one has more
metadata.

Regards