On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 10:53 -0700, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> +1
>
> I agree with Vincent that commitment over time is the problem, mainly
> because mantaining a plugin you don't use is somewhat difficult.

Agreed. Maybe we could come up with some simple metrics which might
indicate a good time to pass on the torch so to speak. If we could look
at the number of issues added/closed in the interval between releases we
might be able to see the trend and ask for more maintainers. For example
if many issues are being added and few being closed. This is a really
simple example but might be somewhere to start.

People often work on plug-ins when necessity demands and so people
naturally fall off as time is limited. Something to think about is how
to prepare for the transition between maintainers and what we can do to
make this as simple as possible as the life of a plug-in (or any piece
of software) will span many contributors. Making the process transparent
is one of the aims of Maven and this is a use case right in our own
backyard so to speak. How to see the transition coming and how to
prepare for it as to provide a good degree of continuity so a plug-in
doesn't fall into unmaintained state. Just some food for thought, but I
think the information is there insofar as issues tracking for plug-ins,
activity for plug-ins and we just need to harness it.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare