Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
- whether to mark versions as -alpha, -beta along the

way, or only
label releases at those points (for 2.1 only on this)

I like 2.1-SNAPSHOT over 2.1-alpha-SNAPSHOT.

+1

Personally, I'm against alpha, beta ...
It doesn't help us because managers (in companies) don't want to allow their
teams to use a library/framework/soft in alpha/beta.
A lot of projects (httpd, tomcat, ...) doesn't use them anymore. The third release number isn't a bug fix but a build increment. The team vote to define if a build has the quality of a release or not.

We don't have that problem now - we have a stable release. And I don't want people using alpha quality software in production because then we have to do a greater amount of support.

For the dev process I agree with you though - we just do releases as we go and label a certain rev# as 2.1 alpha/beta/milestone, etc, then hit the final 2.1 when its all sorted out.

- Brett