The eclipse plugin *does* create different project files depending on
where it's run.  It uses project references if the other projects are
within the reactor build.  It's also very particular regarding
versions, as this thread details:

http://www.nabble.com/eclipse%3Aeclipse-and-direct-project-references-t488871.html#a1329272

I agree we need to be consistent across IDEs and would like things to
be simplified and configurable.

Cheers,

Mark