Brett Porter wrote:
| +1, though I have some concerns having thought more about it
|
| - where do we trunk/branch/etc?

Well, the mojo project is probably the closest analogy to this new svn
space, unless it's the plugins space on ASF. In both cases, they share a
single trunk (and, implicitly, a single set of branches/tags, right?).
This, in spite of the fact that each plugin is on a separate release
cycle...

I'm not sure what decisions led to that approach over, say, creating a
trunk per plugin (ugly, I know)...but I'd think what's good for one
would work for all. It would also help to maintain consistency here,
IMO. So, I guess that leads me to say let's use one set of
trunk/tags/branches for all of this new shared space.

| - how does this impact the bootstrap?

This will have the same impact on the bootstrap as any other project
that the core plugins depend on, but which isn't included in the core
distribution. Those projects within this shared space that are required
by the core plugins will have to be included in the bootstrap. IIRC, we
have maven-archiver in the bootstrap already, along with the IT
verifier, etc. from the components space. Also, we're building the
plugins space (mounted at ../plugins from the root of the components
space). So, this doesn't represent *that* big of a change; it's just
another sibling space to checkout and build. If the plugins build is
contingent on the plugins being checked out, then we can extend this
idea and make plugin builds contingent on the ability to build these
shared projects (or the required subset, more likely).

| - not sure this is a good idea for any libraries closely ties to maven
| core releases.

If you mean we shouldn't move maven-artifact into the shared space, I
agree 100%. :-) Did you have specific concerns about some of the other
projects that aren't quite so integral to Maven?

| Keeping them truely separate is probably the best alternative here. If
| maven-archiver is separate then it can get new versions and stick to 2.0
| which controls what the prerequisite release of maven the plugins have.

Yes, just as the plugins' specification of prerequisite maven version is
going to become crucial (if it's not already), the shared projects will
also have to depend on this feature. It will allow them to grow faster
than the main Maven distribution.

cheers,

john