I don’t think it's an "or" thing. As Jason has said it's an "and": both
needs to be done. IMO there's a need for a plugin lead. Preferably this is
the person who has a good history of the plugin and who can provide
explanations/directions for contributors, possibly review and apply patches,
etc. It doesn't mean he's the only committer on the plugin of course.

The pb we had with m1 was not the problem of having leads. It was more the
fact that they need to change and we didn't control well enough when leads
were still written as leads but actually not leading any more (i.e. they
were on other stuff).

I think having leads is a good thing. It also provides additional visibility
for those accepting to be leads and that's usually a good tradeoff.

> > Irrespective of that I agree that some form of review should be done.
> > All the information required for the view we should be able to glean
> > from the stock of information we have. Release dates can be picked off
> > (if not easily now, then we can make it easier using the repo
> > manager), issues closed for releases, stagnant issues or whatever else.
> +1

+1

-Vincent