Brett, I agree with most of what you said in this mail and in your
POM-Problems email. I just have this comment:
>From the POM-problems email:
"3) Separating inheritance of versioned and transient info

A: Deprecate dependency inheritance (bare with me :)

The problem of separation only seems to appear in generic pom
inheritance, and then it is only the dependencies used that are of
issue.

For starters, in that case, we can just say its is best practice not to
inherit the dependency, then the parent becomes completely project/build
info which we are happy to have the auto versioning for.

But that raises the question - is dependency inheritance worthwhile at
all any more?"

I think the dependency or dependencyManagement inheritance is all about
not having to duplicate versions etc all over the place. I have it setup
so that I can control the versions from as few places as possible and
thus most of my parents at least have the management sections. If this
is removed, then I think it will be a nightmare for example to update
from foo x-x to foo x-z. Now obviously this would happen with the auto
version resolution if I set it in the final product  (ie war). However,
in this case, if I want my standalone builds or unit tests to be
accurately using the intended version, then I need to update all my
projects to have the correct version. This actually negates many
benefits of the transitive dependency resolution you mentioned. I agree
that the current method doesn't feel right, but this is currently the
only way to control this that I can see.

The other important part is the pluginManagement. In a corp environment,
it's important to know all developers are using vetted versions of the
plugins. Using a highlevel parent with pluginManagement allows me to
verify new plugins & make nessessary infrastructure changes before
rolling it out. It means that this needs to be versioned because a new
plugin rev might imply some other changes in the build or code. It's
also nice that devs don't have to remember to use the -U command all the
time.