Kenney Westerhof wrote:
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Brett Porter wrote:

I personally think a separate jira list allows for the most flexibility.
The same for continuum builds, which sometimes really spam the dev
list.
I think the dev list should be exclusively used by human posters
writing real email, discussing development. Users posting problems
(which is the most part of jira mail) doesn't really belong in development
discussions.

If you have a separate list for everything
(users,dev,jira,commits,continuum,announce) everybody can pick the ones
they're interested in - everybody happy! (except that you might
need to send 8 mails instead of 2 to subscribe if you want
everything, but that's a one-time thing.)

I think that is the most sensible approach. Pick what you like and the dev list being humans only I like!

When things are clearly separated like this it makes things easier. Case in point: with separate lists each described in the POM you could easily generate the rules for filtering for, say, Thunderbird and put them on the website. Then someone makes a snazzy Thunderbird plugin so that you can just drag and drop the filter on the web page into thunderbird and have it set up your folders and filters for that list! Separating information into meaningful channels is always a good thing. People can take the information from the channel if they like but right now if you don't want it you don't have a choice which I think sucks.

-- Kenney