Hi Jason,

Not much work has been done yet. I have created a really minimal version of the plugin. Thats 7 lines of real code. Have a look at the plugin if you want to, its attached to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1659 . It may not be the best way of doing it, but doubt there is any simpler way.

/Anders

Jason van Zyl wrote:
Anders Hessellund Jensen wrote:

I would like to be able to substitute timestamps with the build time into a resource file. As I understand it, there is currently no plugin to to this, so I consider writing one.

Sorry for not responding to this earlier, and I know that you've started working on this plugin and I'd like to harness the work you've done but I think what you are doing should be an extension to the resources plugin. We should figure out how to augment filtering of resources. I think the easiest way to do this is to filter the resources using Velocity.

This way additional tools can be created for swizzling resources and this can all happen in one pass through velocity instead of having N plugins which need to make N passes over the resources to filter them. So I don't want to discourage you at all. Work on the plugin and I will try to integrate your code into the resources plugin when you are done.

The other advantage of using Velocity in the resources plugin will allow you to use Velocity directives in your resources so you can do any sort of conditional logic you may want to have instead of simple substitution. So I think we would benefit in two ways using Velocity here: scalable addition of tools that can be used to swizzle resources (a timestamp tool is a perfect example) and conditional logic which can sometimes be useful like looking at a property introduced by a profile and behave a certain way for example.

The plugin should leverage the existing resource filtering mechanism of M2. The plugin would take a configuration like this:

<configuration>
  <timestamps>
    <timestamp>
       <propertyName>build.date</propertyName>
       <pattern>yyyy.MM.dd</pattern>
    <timestamp>
  <timestamps>
</configuration>

Running the plugin with this configuration would define the M2 property build.date, and any filtered resource file would get ${build.date} substituted with 2006.02.28 or whatever the date at build time is.

WDYT?

Best regards,
Anders