That separates the core site, but there is still a two issues, and,
unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is an easy way to address it.

First, it is easy to publish specific versions of projects to different
directories.  But, the Maven documentation consists of a bunch of related
sites.  I think the main challenge is Maven plug-in sites and making sure
that all external links from one version of Maven link to the appropriate
version of another site.  Here's where it would be helpful to be able to
provide URL prefixes for outbound links.  Instead of linking to a specific
URL.

Second, (and correct me if I'm wrong), a Maven "version" is just a String.
There is no concept in a the POM of a Major vs. a Minor release.  So,
although there's seems to be agreement that it doesn't make much sense to
publish a new version of the site for each minor revision, that might not be
possible without adding that concept to Maven (unlikely) or just coding
/ref/2 for a 2.x version instead of using the logic.  So while the
replacement logic you have for core is good, it would create a new Maven
site for each minor version release.  Maybe that's OK?