Actually, the navbar is in there already...

I tried to discuss the question of what an xdoc is once on the maven dev list [1] but didn't get too much feedback. I then adopted the definition of an xdoc as something that is transformed into a valid xhtml1-transitional by the xdoc plugin. This of course links it intimately to maven and the xdoc plugin (which is also reflected in the current versioning scheme - the dtd in svn is called maven-xdoc-1.10.dtd and I assumed that we would publish a new version with every xdoc plugin). I never thought of '... getting XDOC out of the maven/velocity realm and making an "official" format'.

As for now, the only difference between an xdoc and an xhtml1-transitional is the addition of the elements <section>, <subsection>, <escapeXml>, <source> and <navbar>.

Any comments welcome.

-Lukas

[1] http://www.nabble.com/What-is-an-xdoc--t370461.html#a1023611

Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
Hi,

getting XDOC out of the maven/velocity realm and making an  "official"
format would IMHO help its visibility tremendously. That's why I
proposed to adopt it as
-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD XDOC 1.0//EN"

and removed all the maven and velocity references from it. Having it
online is good, having it at www.apache.org/dtds with an official
location and version number (1.0) is IMHO much better.

It would also avoid "sneaking stuff in". ;-) (navbar...)

        Best regards
                Henning