Hello!

We use Maven 2 in a big project in a setup with a proxy and a local repository
(both handled by one instance of maven-proxy). I want all developers use the
proxy/cache/local repository before going to ibiblio or codehaus. Therefore,
everybody has redefined <id>central</id> to our local repository.

The last version of the plexus compiler plugin (1.5.2) caused a problem with
this setup because it contains the following section in the pom.xml:

    <repository>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </snapshots>
      <id>central</id>
      <name>Maven Repository Switchboard</name>
      <url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>
    </repository>

This overrides the <id>central</id> in the settings.xml, so Maven tries to
download the next dependency from repo1.maven.org, which is not reacheable from
us because we are behind a firewall and we have not activated the http-proxy in
settings.xml.

I am thinking about the best solution to solve this problem. As a quick fix, I
have copied the plexus-compiler-plugin to our local repository and removed the
repository section mentioned above. Questions:

1. Is it legal/good style of a plugin to do redifinitions of
   repositories like <id>central</id>?
2. What is the correct way to use a local maven repository/cache?
   Is it correct to redefine <id>central</id>?
3. How do you handle the risk that any new released plugin crashes
   your build? Do you have a version tag for every plugin in your
   pom.xml?

Regards

Roger