Carlos,

I'm the one bugging John the most about the rsync issue.   Since you guys
moved the snapshots from codehaus's server to apache, my developers have
been complaining a LOT about builds failing due to timeouts and such, and
that's even with a maven-proxy instance sitting in the middle.   It's
gotten to a point where we cannot reliably do builds due to the snapshot
server not responding.   That's NOT a good experience for anyone, let
alone a new maven user.

Basically, I have 15-20 developers (growing to 30-40 shortly) that end up
hitting it every morning.   If I can mirror is locally, the traffic from
then would be eliminated with the only traffic being a 3am rsync.

My biggest concern is our build reliability.   If our builds fail, I'm not
happy, my boss isn't happy, the developers aren't happy,   etc....   Of
course, if you guys would get releases of all the plugins (cobertura,
site,  checkstyle, PMD, project info, etc...)  out sooner and get the
bugs fixed quicker, we could stop using the snapshots.

Dan

On Monday 17 April 2006 12:14, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> i think Jason already asked for that. Right now it is a policy from
> Apache that the repo shouldn't be mirrored.
>
> On 4/17/06, John Casey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'd like to propose that we enable the maven-snapshot-repository on
> > cvs.apache.org for use with the rsync server. This would allow people
> > to mirror the snapshots to a local network when traffic is low, and
> > avoid hitting the main ASF snapshots repository for POMs, etc. all
> > the time. Right now, I believe we had agreed not to allow mirroring
> > of snapshots, possibly due to load concerns on cvs.apache.org.
> > However, I believe that constant traffic for POMs and jars
> > (especially during otherwise high-traffic times) put an even larger
> > load on this machine. Also, thinking about the user's experience,
> > it'd be a lot better for them not to have to deal with the traffic
> > problems when checking for newer snapshot versions. If a person is
> > using a plugin from this repository, that can slow the build
> > significantly.
> >
> > What would it take to enable this? What are the downsides that I'm
> > not seeing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John
>
> --