On 5/15/06, Jesse McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think this is a great idea, it would be a good exercise to go
through the existing ideas that are slated and clean them up in a
clear well reasoned way.  the limited amount in the queue at any one
point in time is probably a good idea as well...force the asking of
the tough questions and whatnot..

I think the stuff has to be collected and sorted to see what we have as
stuff is just all over the place. I can see the issues say for
"Dependencies" in JIRA but that's not related to anything in the wiki.

Right now we have lots of JIRA issues for design, and documents in the wiki,
and probably some stuff in APT in SVN.  Right now there are a set of
components in JIRA (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG) and a set of
categories in the wiki (
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+2.1+Design+Documents) and they
don't mesh. I would like to sync those first and the components in JIRA, I
think, should be the definitive list and we should use the components (like
Dependencies) when talking about a design issue.

is that things just get kicked up on the mailing list and then
disappear down on the list to atrophy.  should there be an attempt to
clear one or two MEPs a week? :)

Right, things on the mailing tend to peter out. The tendency should shift to
trying to help resolve the issues in the queue before work begins on any new
ideas. People who took the time to write up a design and put it in the queue
should have a the required audience to resolve the issue. The only
discussion about design that crop up on the list should be the ones in the
queue, everything else gets written up and gets in line for entrance into
the queue. Would be nice to have a few MEPs resolved a week but whatever it
ends up being the queue becomes the only place to go in the short term. So
someone who put in the effort doesn't get drown out on the mailing list.

I'm going to try and align the components in JIRA with the categories in the
wiki and try some ruby junk today and see what falls out.

jason.

jesse

On 5/15/06, Trygve Laugstøl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just looking at the wiki for the 2.1 design stuff and was
> > wondering if we could use a common format for each issue? I was
> > thinking that we may borrow from a Pattern Language and for
each  issue
> > have a Context, Problem, Solution, and maybe Implementation  Details.
> > So for something like having selectable project builders  based on
version:

> Not sure if it's apropriate for us, but Python has a similar mechanism
> called Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs)[1]. They don't have the same
> layout for all the requests, but they have a set of states for each
> proposal.
>
> I think this is a process that should outlive Maven 2.1 and should cover
> all parts of The Maven Project (where Maven the Tool is one
sub-project).

> Just might be worth taking a look at for ideas.
>
> [1]: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/
>
> --
> Trygve

jesse mcconnell