Jason van Zyl wrote:

On 19 Jun 06, at 12:37 AM 19 Jun 06, Brett Porter wrote:

John Casey wrote:
Hi everyone,
I know we've talked about this quite a bit already. Actually, I'm having
trouble finding the past threads on this topic in my email...can someone who
knows please link them in?

btw:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200603.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200603.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

However, I'm reading through them and going to reincoporate any additional thoughts into the current discussions (as I should have done *ages* ago).

A lot of the folks here and users had ideas on how to make the site better so how about we solicit for a users' favourite site with respect to usability. The other thing that might be interested is let folks who had ideas make some sample sites as it can often be hard to visualize what someone is talking about. A few minutes whipping up a new site.xml would give us lots of ideas.

+1
It is always easier to have something to discuss around. Looking at pros an cons for different structures.

Most people seems to be concerned with easy navigation and that is something simple we can do before we start changing the structure of the content. I think simply reorganizing the content itself would be an easy first step. Having a few categories/trails seems to be a popular option so the big long list could just be categorized first and a navigation made.

+1

This should be done iteratively and let users guide it's final form with feed back instead of a grandiose plan to restructure everything everything. So I think something very simple and tenable is:

1. Ask users for favorite sites, good examples of quality navigation and ease of use. 2. Ask users to help show us what they want by making a site.xml and shows groupings they would find useful. 3. Do something really simple like categorize/trailize the existing content and make the first iteration of navigation improvements.

I have a couple of suggestions for categories:

- Up and running with Maven in 15 minutes (was: Getting started)
I like the concept of this one, but not the current content of it. It's too much. If we move some of the stuff out of there (like the site bits) it would be leaner.

- Creating Applications
The whole life cycle: compile, test, package, deploy. This would include the specialized docs Webapps etc.

- Configuration
Many questions on the user list are about configuration. This might be Maven itself or plugins. A general guide on how stuff can be configured in Maven (including settings and profiles), plus the various docs that exist on configuration. Most of the plugin configuration docs should be in the plugins themselves.

- Creating sites
This is fundamentally different to other parts of Maven and deserves a category of its own. Different doc formats, site.xml, skins and reports.

- Repositories
There are many documents about this and there are a lot of questions about this on the user list.

- Maven 1 vs Maven 2
Feature comparisons, using both versions together, migration possibilities and tools.

- Integration
All the IDE bits, embedding and the Ant tasks.

- Developing Custom Plugins
This would include all there is to know a about creating your own plugin

- For Maven Developers
Lots of stuff in here that is not really interesting to the average Maven user

- Reference

- Books and Articles

While we're gathering feedback folks can think about how to improve the site further, change the structure of content, and create tools that might help. Shoot for short term changes that can be collected and published so users can browse around and we find what works as we go.

Jason.

- Brett

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]