On 23/08/2006, at 5:09 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

However, installing Maven first is not cheating. I think it should be
the recommended way for building Maven unless you have a reason to
need to start from scratch. All the bootstrap does is build a
functional Maven, then use that to build itself again anyway.

It seems cleaner to use bootstrap.sh. Then again, if you prefer people
not use it then perhaps the possibility simply should not exist?

It does have a purpose, just that it is probably not necessary if you are able to preinstall a binary version of Maven. It depends on whether you want to build a release from source (bootstrap), or just download a binary release and then work on the code and build it from source (build SVN trunk with Maven).

Unfortunately, we won't be able to reproduce it, so if you really want to bootstrap your going to need to do a little bit of digging...

- Brett