On 6 Sep 06, at 9:39 AM 6 Sep 06, Arnaud Bailly wrote:

Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

http://xradar.sourceforge.net/

Thank you for the pointer, really interesting tool. This is not the
kind of thing I was thinking about but it might be an alternative,
with the obvious advantage of existing :-) BTW, I am not sure using a
RDF database is slower than working with XML files and XLT tranforms.

I was just commenting on the use of XML. If I were to design a pure reporting Data API I would probably not use XML at all. I would probably use find a format that would provide the fastest data processing capabilities because I would like real-time reporting.

You seem to know or have already been in touch with the people
developing it. What about getting in touch with them and starting a
real project that would incorporate xradar into maven process ? I
am ready to become involved in this project even without leading it
:-) I feel my vision and xradar's one are the same so let's try it
that way.

I chatted with the guy in charge of the project in Norway so I can try to get him to pop in here and give you a better description of the project. XRadar is really concerned with collecting data from any source and effectively normalizing it for coherent analysis. That is very useful, but I would still like to come up with a Data API that would provide a canonical format for data that could be consumed by a reporting system we came up with. Maybe that's too much to do with limited resources but that's the idea I had. I think in the short term if we're going to use everything that exists then I think XRadar is the most complete, well thought out solution that is ready for use right now.

--
OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
Arnaud Bailly, Dr.

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]