Mark Hobson wrote:
> This sounds similar to my requirement of splitting the package phase
> into pre-package and package.  Pre-package would assemble the exploded
> archive, whereas package would perform the archiving itself.  This
> would allow other mojos to contribute to the archive assembly phase as
> you require.
>
> See http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@maven.apache.org/msg62286.html
Absolutely. A pre-package would be the right hook to place the war
exploded goal so that it explodes the war structure, overlays and so on,
while on the package phase it will only package it.

Then other plugins could simply hook to the pre-package phase if they
need to work on the stuff that will end up in the war/jar/whatever else.

So, a big non-binding +1 for your proposal :)

Simone