On Thu, December 14, 2006 1:46 am, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:

>   Disclaimer: I am not attempting to set policy, just to get discussion
> going,
>               document it, and work towards the ideal toolchain that
> make the
>               future of apache releases smooth, consistent, and resilient
>
> Desired End Goal:
>
>   This discussion will revolve around the apache process for official
>   releases of projects.

[snip lots and lots of barriers to release]

Although I can see the desire to enforce compliance on policy, I think
adopting barriers to release like this will cause the projects to just
never be released, making an already bad problem worse.

There is another showstopper to this: One of the key provisions of
releasing artifacts at the ASF is that a release cannot be vetoed. The
thinking is that our code in SVN should always be policy compliant,
meaning that a release at any time should never be a problem.

What will probably work a lot better is for compliance to be enforced at
the source level, and here a "compliance plugin" hooked into the test
phase can check for all the various things like license headers on files
etc as required by the project.

So rather than chase people around months after code was committed to
bring it into compliance, the developer of a plugin can get immediate
feedback while they are developing to say that files X, Y and Z are non
compliant and need to be fixed.

Extra points if the plugin can auto-fix some of the issues.

Regards,
Graham