On 12/18/06, Brett Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sorry to top reply, but my summarised response is:

- there are valid use cases for plugins in more than one repository
- Maven should always be using the repository with the newest version
available. If it's not, then it's a bug.

If you are using a version > the last release, and > the snapshot
version then it should work out just fine (though I also recommend
not using snapshot plugin repositories at all in this case).

The gotcha might be that 1.2-INTERNAL is evaluated as < 1.2 (and 1.2-
SNAPSHOT) - is that the issue?

What about hardcoding the plugin version in your POM?

The gotcha is that the metadata merging of multiple repositories is
when the artifact's repository value is set.  In the next step when
version resolution occurs the incorrect artifact repository value is
used.

Therefore Metadata merging must include the repository in the
versioning information.

I think I can patch it to do so, but its a large enough change that I
am uncomfortable with the potential changes this will cause.

If I can
1) work out a way to have multiple versions of maven installed on my
machine so I can switch between them for independent development that
would be tops.  I need separate mvn binaries and repositories (I
assume maven devs have this exact problem, how do they solve it?)
2) work out how to create appropriate unit tests to expose the problem
prior to development.  This may be more difficult due to the component
nature of how this gets resolved.

However, since I have a workaround using mvnproxy, this is going down
my priority list.