Carlos Sanchez wrote:
Sound like a lot of added complexity that will cause trouble to all
tooling on top of Maven

Can you justify that with an example, at all?

What about forcing the xml schema to a standard versioning system. If
it's used then you'll benefit from all Maven goodies. If you just use
a String Maven will do its best.

For instance

<version>
 <major>1</major>
 <minor>2<minor>
 <bug>1</bug>
 <buildnumber>123</buildnumber>
</version>

The problem is basically that this simply isn't powerful enough to cover all the various versioning schemes there are in the wild. Suggesting forcing everybody to conform to your idea of versioning isn't at all helpful; similarly imposing a complex mapping between upstream and maven versions for a project is unattractive.

Furthermore you don't leave any scope for extension such as might be required for local modifications of a project.

Stéphane also suggested forcing a particular versioning convention on everybody - the same argument applies.

Regarding Kenney's proposal: as discussed on #maven, all sounds very sensible to me. I'm still fishing for, and failing to find, examples of failures for projects where people invert the precedence of . and -; however anyone doing that probably deserves what they get.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a project's maven versions to be consistent with 1.0alpha2 vs 1.0-alpha-3 - so jumping through hoops to make this work may not be worthwhile.

Is it a given that we want SNAPSHOT < alpha < beta < gamma < rc < ga ? What happens when we've released an alpha, but want to continue hacking on SNAPSHOTs before releasing another? we want SNAPSHOT between rc and ga, no?

Also, does "unknown(lexical sort) < ''" not conflict with "In my sample
implementation, 2.0.1-xyz is newer than 2.0.1."? I may just be misunderstanding your explanation, but if you could clarify what exactly happens when a given component isn't present, and for unrecognised qualifiers, that would be useful.

I've found the current scheme quite limited, and certainly capable of producing unexpected results, so I'm definitely in favour of making some changes here.

Best regards,

Richard

--
Richard van der Hoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Telephony Gateways Project Manager