On 22 Dec 06, at 10:03 PM 22 Dec 06, Craig McClanahan wrote:

On 12/22/06, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 12/22/06, Dan Fabulich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > From: Kenney Westerhof [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > If I understand correctly, the problem is that a 'staged' release
> > still contains a SNAPSHOT keyword in the metadata/filename?
>
> Yes, that's the problem.

I would agree, but that's not how I understand staging to work at all.

The Apache projects I work on like to vote on the *exact* artifacts
that will be released to the public, so the staged release must not
have a -SNAPSHOT qualifier.

Agreed. When I vote on a release, I'm always saying "show me the bits."

In this scenario, it would be nice for the release plugin to have an option to copy approved artifacts from the staging area to the release area (along
with corresponding signatures and metadata updates) *without* any
modification to the artifacts themselves.

Yes, that's what we have just tried with a Geronimo release where the actual release was staged, Geronimo folks votes and then I merged the artifacts into the central syncing directory on Apache using Tom's new repository copier which takes into account merging the necessary metadata.

Jason.

--
Wendy

Craig