Actually, sorry for being misleading, but checkstyle as an extension
seems to work just fine for me.  However, I did notice that another
case where I was using a build extension is broken for me.  Again
sorry for the confusion.  I've created an issue for what I saw:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2821

-Stephen