I'm generally in favour now, but there are a couple of things I'd still like to explore first, please bear with me.

Having had the chance to review the new behaviour, I can't see any problems with applying it to current builds - I would expect it extremely rare to see a managed dependency in a build that also comes through transitively at present (and if so, it's probably the version you want). So I'm happy to make that exception to include it in a point release given the 2.1 code is alpha.

Back tracking just a little bit, though - I want to validate that this is the correct implementation method.

- is overloading the meaning of dependency management a problem? I'm almost certain we considered doing this around about the 2.0-alphas and it was ruled out, though personally I've always thought depMgmt should have behaved this way. - is this covering up for a lack of something in the dependency mechanism itself? eg., if we add proper conflict resolution and different selection mechanisms, would this be needed/removed?

My impression is that we'd still want this in the future, but improvements to the mechanism itself should reduce the need for it in projects. I just thought it was worth considering, since I thought it'd been ruled out for other reasons in the past. But other than that, I'm happy with it going in now.

As a last point, I'm a little confused about what we are actually voting on - as far as I can tell this is already the default behaviour on the branch? I must be missing something - what needs to be done?

Thanks for getting this done folks - it certainly has been a pest.

- Brett