On 17 Mar 07, at 12:08 PM 17 Mar 07, Eric Redmond wrote:

Could this velocity pre-processor just be a plugin that gets run in the
pre-site phase - unrelated to doxia?

It could and that's what the velocity people seem to be doing on their site, but I would really like to not have to configure anything.

I would like it to be useful generally, but if people object to it being on by default (but for static site generation who cares), then maybe a directory structure that gets processed by velocity. But then you end up with a bunch of different directories. What I did was process it with Velocity and if that attempt fails with a parsing error just fall back to processing the raw document.

I want zero configuration, and it just work. I'll do any grunt work to make that possible.

Jason.

Eric

On 3/17/07, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 17 Mar 07, at 2:23 AM 17 Mar 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> You've lost me, sorry. What type of page are you trying to create?

Any page, Velocity will be used to render any of the pages. It would
just work anywhere in the site.

> I can see how this makes it possible to make lightweight reports. I
> don't see how it's useful in most documentation. I would think the
> former would naturally be in a separate section somewhere, as
> opposed to having to specify pages.
>
> I think what Emmanuel was saying was that making everything
> velocity would mean stuff that had things that looked like
> expressions now would end up different (you are trying to explain $
> {project.build.directory} instead of substitute it).

That's really easy to escape, and we can tell people it's a Velocity
document and it's well documented. I think that would be easier then
juggling pages around to be rendered as it will be the case where you
want the literal ${project.build.directory} and interpolate some
other project information. This is always the case with Velocity
documents which is why there are escaping tools, #macros, and the
actual escaping characters.

Jason.

> - Brett
>
> On 17/03/2007, at 9:32 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>

>> On 16 Mar 07, at 6:15 PM 16 Mar 07, Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>>> I think I'd like the option to, but not every time. Maybe it
>>> belongs closer to the reporting infrastructure (the download
>>> pages are more like the SCM/mail list types of pages).
>>>
>>> Maybe that's the real future of those types of pages - the
>>> ability to write simple velocity pages that get processed to spit
>>> out apt that gets added to the list of docs to generate. Rather
>>> than affecting the APT itself, it is a step before
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean, not everytime. I think if you turn it
>> on you wouldn't want to have to specify what pages you want to be
>> interpolated. I think that would be inconvenient. And though it
>> doesn't fully stream now it will so it will actually be faster
>> then the current site plugin. So the performance will be higher
>> once it streams instead of collecting the page content in memory
>> to process it. So speed is not going to be an issue and it's not
>> really noticeable right now.
>>
>> This is only for sites and would be very handy. For example would
>> then be able to make new types of reports and share them. They
>> just pop them into their site structure (and move toward being
>> packaged up as reports) and they will render with their project
>> information.
>>
>> I'm leaning toward being on by default and letting people fully
>> utilize Velocity anywhere they like.
>>
>> Jason.
>>
>>> - Brett

Eric Redmond