Hi,

Sorry for being sluggish :)

On 21/03/2007, at 8:41 AM, Raphaël Piéroni wrote:

Hi,

Do any one had the time to comment the sources and/or the first doco
http://mojo.codehaus.org/maven-archetypeng ?

This looks very good. The only thing I noticed was that the goal names were still the same, which I think in the earlier mail we were going to change?

BTW, as far as JIRA goes, I'd definitely use ARCHETYPE with a new version. Frankly, if you can make this backwards compat, I'd go with this as the basis for archetype 1.0.

The way I'd see this moving forward:
- get archetypeng to the point that you think it is a suitable drop in replacement for the current archetype stuff (ie, backwards compatible, as feature complete as the last release) - propose to move it into apache svn as a replacement for current (make sure any changes that might have been applied since you started don't need to be applied to yours too - though I think we've held off)
- work towards 1.0-beta-1 release and use ARCHETYPE JIRA.

Here is a proposition of refactored descriptor which attemps
to introduce: the use of attributes, the possibility to copy files,
and customised template groups (root, 1->3° level).

Please feel free to comment this naive proposition.
Unless homogenous desire, i whould have dropped the 1° and 2° levels templates.

Looks sane to me, but I have some questions:
- Do you see people needing to create these descriptors often? It seemed a lot of it could be discovered, maybe even annotated? - would there be the possibility to use patterns a lot to describe these, rather than individual files as is shown in this example? - I don't quite understand the purpose of first/second/third level groups. Can you explain this some more?

Thanks again!

- Brett