Hi GreJ,
I believe that is correct.  A mvn install must be done in order to make the
test jars available on the classpath to compile against for the inherited
tests.  I agree that it is unfortunate that an install must be done in order
to run the tests.

Maven developers,
Should I submit a feature request on Jira?  It would be something to the
effect like "Test jars / test-classes source directories need to be
available on the classpath within the reactor during the test-compile phase
so users don't need to perform an install in order to compile against code
in other test-jars / test-classes source directories"  How's that sound?

It would also be handy to have transitive dependency management of the
test-jars, but that should probably be for another feature request.

Thanks,
Jim