That is a failure in the packaging <-> file extension mapping facilities
in archiva/trunk

Other examples (from codein archiva branch):
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "ejb-client", "jar" );
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "ejb", "jar" );
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "distribution-tgz", "tar.gz" );
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "distribution-zip", "zip" );
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "java-source", "jar" );
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "aspect", "jar" );
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "uberjar", "jar" );
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "maven-plugin", "jar" );
        typeToExtensionMap.put( "maven-archetype", "jar" );

It (along with many other bugs) is being corrected in the archiva
database refactor branch (highly unstable ATM).

- Joakim