On 4/5/07, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 5 Apr 07, at 12:26 PM 5 Apr 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> I need it the same way the cli would do it, for version ranges,
> snapshots,... I need the metadatasource

You still haven't answered the question as to the specific use case.

it's a library that given group and artifact expects a list of
versions. As it may later be used by maven i want to be consistent

> It is already abstracted in ArtifactMetadataSource interface

This interface cannot be exposed via the embedder, if you want to
return an ordered Set of versions that's fine.

So you are suggesting adding this method from ArtifactMetadataSource
to the embedder

   List retrieveAvailableVersions( Artifact artifact,
ArtifactRepository localRepository, List remoteRepositories )
       throws ArtifactMetadataRetrievalException;

> , so if
> you want to add the index as another source right now you'd just need
> to make a new implementation.

I expect anything you are working on will be put in a feature branch
in the sandbox for review so I will look at it as the embedder
interface already needs to slim down and I'm adamant about not
exposing any internal API or structures, in particular anything to do
with maven-artifact because anything dependency related has to move
to a graph structure as what is present is fraught with problems.

I just need that method, nothing else. I don't actually need the
metadata source exposed, what I need is it to be used as the cli does

So in your particular case a query by groupId+artifact id should
yield a set of versions. So exposure of ResolutionGroup,
MetadataSources or anything else.

Jason.