I've modified Maven's versioning scheme to fit our corporate version
schema standard and to fit the way we need to choose components via a
discrete set of quality test states.  The mod preserves Maven's "normal"
process so that plugins resolution still works but it will use the
custom process for versions which have special quality state qualifiers
attached to them.

It works well but because I had to change the code at a deep level
(DefaultArtifactVersion.java) I consider this a hack whereas if version
resolution were "plugable" it would rather be an "extension".

I realize that changing this kind of this is not trivial but perhaps
there is something the experts are thinking about that allows version
selection to be extended based on individual software lifecycle
processes?

Thanks