Andrew Williams wrote on Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:06 PM:

> On 26 Apr 2007, at 13:20, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>
>> Hi Jason,
>>
>> Therefore the slots. The project itself can introduce them, if two
>> major versions can be used at same time. Think about a hypothetical
>> commons-logging 2.0 (it is discussed) that might have a different
>> API. I am quite sure Jakarta folks will ensure that 2.x and 1.x
>> series can be used at the same time - simply because even in the
>> Maven repo itself ~ 2000 artifacts depend on it. Without something
>> like the slots, you will never be able to create a new Maven-based
>> project using JCL 2.x ...
>
> Well kick me if I am wrong, but is this not where well managed
> projects use deprecation and wrappers around the new code to work
> from the old API? I know plexus and classworlds are trying to for
> backwards compatibility.
>
> What rule states that commons-logging 2.0 cannot contain the
> api from
> commons-logging 1.0 with deprecated marks? I doubt that everytime
> someone wants to change their API they would much rather do
> that than
> make a mutually exclusive, thusly cohabitable, API for the
> new version.

This is a decision of the project and not of Maven. Maven should be able to
handle the situation though. Additionally your assumption is not valid, since a
lot of projects maintain a y.x branch (e.g. to provide JDK 1.3 compatibility)
and (y+1).x head with a cleaned up API and JDK 5 support only. That does not
mean that the JDK 1.3 branch is obsolete or deprecated nor does it mean that no
further maintenance releases will be available. Therefore I consider it even a
bad idea to bundle both versions in the same jar.

- Jörg