On 14 Jun 07, at 9:39 AM 14 Jun 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

that's what I understood too, source release is mandatory and binary optional

This is a throwback to HTTPD where a source distribution made more sense because of platform issues. I'm willing to bet 99.9999% of users don't build from sources and take the binaries. Of course it's important to have the sources available but in all practical terms most users will never use them.

On 6/14/07, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/14/07, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We've never had one, but I can certainly make one by exporting the
> tag and zipping it up. All the source archives to date are simply the > source as record, they don't include anything in there to build them.
> I don't think this is useful at all to anyone but if it's a legal
> requirement to have a buildable-from-source distribution it will take
> me a few minutes to make it. I'm not sure Maven SCM supports and
> export that would work and I'm certainly not going to mess around
> with that at this stage to put in the build. But if we want to give
> people what I actually used to build the release then the tag should
> be exported and zipped up.

I did that (svn export and zip) for Archiva 0.9-alpha-2, but I had to
add LICENSE and NOTICE because they were not in svn. For Struts I use
the assembly plugin to piece together the same thing you get with svn
export.

Anyway, I don't think it's a legal requirement so much as it's "what
we do".  I mentioned it when I cleaned up the /dist/maven directory,
and Henri commented on it then but we never finished the discussion.

The release FAQ is as close to ASF "policy" as we've got:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

"The Apache Software Foundation produces open source software. All
releases are in the form of the source materials needed to make
changes to the software being released. In some cases, binary/ bytecode
packages are also produced as a convenience to users that might not
have the appropriate tools to build a compiled version of the source.
..."

There's a similar conversation happening on commons-dev:
http://www.nabble.com/-all--What-is-a-release--WAS%3A--vote-- releasing-jci-RC3-as-1.0-...maybe-this-time--t3898124.html#a11050531

--
Wendy

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.